Skip to main content

ABA 100 & ABA 101 Course Discussion

Re: ABA 100 & ABA 101 Course Discussion
by Liz Maher -
Number of replies: 0
Noura,

In my opinion the VB-MAPP is probably one of the most useful tools to use in the classroom especially if you haven't been using an assessment that uses Skinner's Analysis of Verbal Behavior to look at your learner's language. Using the VB-MAPP takes you from saying things like "My learner has two expressive words" to "My learner can ask for 2 things (mand) as long as I provide an echoic prompt and the item is present, but my learner is yet to label items in their environment (tact)" Why is it important to know this info? Well just because an early language user can echo what is said to them they may not be able to ask for items or label items and may instead have problem behavior. Research has shown that this is often the case. Using the VB-MAPP allows you to assess strengths and deficits in terms of language and other important skill areas and create a program that will help teach them to hopefully be a proficient language user (of course this depends on lots of variables). We do have a course on the VB-MAPP which includes assessing and teaching after the assessment, however, there is a lot of info on Dr Sundberg's websites: avbpress.com and marksundberg.com as well as our new website: www.datamtd.com. Hope this helps - thanks for your interest in this amazing assessment.